1. Weezer: Rivers Cuomo is a complete genius. I love the song writing, I love the guitars, I love the vocals. I really can't say anything bad about Weezer. "Buddy Holly" is still one of my favorite songs nearly 17 years after it was released. Let that sink in "Buddy Holly" "The Sweater Song" all were released almost 20 years ago, this is almost classic Rock. The band has the staying power of the Stones. I have every Weezer album and I think that "Pinkerton" was a great album.
2. Wheatus: I like quirky groups. They don't get much quirkier than this one. They have never sold out. Lori and I drove 180 miles once to see them play in a little coffee shop in Springfield, MO. I was the only person in the audience who knew all of their songs and at that time the show was an all request set. I got to sit and talk with the whole band and even had a part int eh show itself. I think I had a smile on my face for a month afterward. Check out the "Too Soon Monsoon" album if you haven't, it has a good sampling of what the band puts out there.
3. Foo Fighters/Nirvana: I list these together because I feel like if Nirvana hadn't ended Foo never would have happened. I think Nirvana is the most influential rock group of the past 30 years. I think Foo has been the most consistent group of the last 20 years. If you ever want to argue with me, tell me you disagree with Nirvana being on par with The Beatles for influence. I get paid to argue and I will seriously rip any other group apart.
4. Garth Brooks: This is easy, Garth is awesome. I love the early stuff, the Chris Gaines album was terrible, the other stuff is fantastic. My favorite Garth song is "The Cowboy Song," it is beautiful in my humble opinion. In the 4 years we lived in Oklahoma, I heard all kinds of people talk about seeing Garth at the Owasso Wal-Mart, we went there all the time and never saw him. This may be one of the biggest regrets of my life.
5. Cake: I regularly tell Lori that if I had any musical ability of my own I would start a band and it would be just like Cake. I am crazy about Cake. I like that they don't change the way they make music to sell more records, they are who they are and that is all.
Honorable Mention: The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, George Strait, and any Rock group with a female lead singer. (Side Note: I want Kerington to grow up to be in a rock band, someone please teach her to be musical, because Lord knows I can't.
Bands I don't like
1. The Eagles: Hate is a strong word, however, it is the correct word to describe my feelings toward The Eagles. There used to be a commercial calling them the greatest American Rock Band. I almost threw up any time I saw the commercial. The Eagles did nothing to advance the state of music, they did nothing to test boundaries. All they did was suck and sell a bunch of records which brings me to;
2. Nickleback: If you could make one song and repackage it again and again and again, and somehow make more money everytime, you would have Nickleback's keys to Rock for Dummies. While I have a lot of respect for Carson Dailey, I think he should still be doing TRL, I do not think Nickleback should be allowed to pollute the airwaves our children occupy.
3. Lady Gaga: I just can't stand her. That is all I have to say about that.
4. 80's hair bands not named Poison: Wow, that was a worthless break from decent music, right?
5. Rotates to whoever is making really horrible music in my opinion. Right now Ke$ha, and Miley Cyrus are running neck and neck. Oddly, I kind of like Katy Perry, don't tell.
These opinions are mine and don;t reflect anything except my personal feelings.